Our client is a life insurance company with over 12 million policy holders, $132 billion in assets and 3,500 employees.
About the Role:
Location: 100% remote, (must be able to go to Birmingham, AL office 1x per month )
Base Salary: $150K-$155K
This person will be a technical leader of a cross-functional agile delivery team and business vertical helping build our next-generation platforms and processes. The Tech Lead will assist in planning, designing, and leading the team to execute technical solutions. This role will be critical in the team successfully executing business roadmaps by partnering with senior executives and business leaders in the planning process. This person will assist the team in breaking down the business roadmaps and plans into technical deliverables that deliver consistent value. They will provide technical oversight throughout all aspects of the development lifecycle. This role will report to the Senior Director of IT Architecture.
This person must be effective at building and growing highly effective teams and owning/adapting processes for design, application development, release management, and testing. This person must be able to change and adapt to a fast-paced environment and create and augment processes to maximize team effectiveness.
This position requires strong analytical, problem-solving, leadership, and organizational skills while maintaining a sense of urgency to meet individual and team deadlines and goals. This person must demonstrate leadership capabilities among peers and can think from a strategic perspective. Excellent oral and written communication skills are needed for effective collaboration with others, both internal and external to the organization, to achieve desired results. This person should be inquisitive, seek improvements, and demonstrate strong attention to detail.
Strategy and Design Functions:
- Act as a trusted technical advisor to the Product Manager and Product Owner.
- Work closely with Architects, Analysts, and Business Subject Matter Experts to develop a clear and convincing technical vision and implementation strategy that aligns with the business goals and drivers.
- Work with Enterprise Architects, IT Risk, and IT Governance to ensure the platforms and solutions developed conform to all IT policies and standards.
- Research and evaluate new tools to support domain-specific needs.
- Work with the Product Manager and Product Owner to develop the technical runway to enable the team to deliver on strategy.
Development and Delivery Functions
- Oversight of the day-to-day technical activities of the delivery team.
- Drive predictability, consistency, performance, and quality in the engineering practice.
- Provides one-on-one guidance to team members to help them understand and prioritize their work.
- Conducts reviews to ensure the architectural design is sound, scalable, and leads to faster delivery.
- Work with Product Owners to build and update release plans
- Works to implement automated test plans to enable continuous delivery.
- Assist in transforming the team into a continuous release mindset using DevOps.
Work Experience, Education, Certification/Training Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certifications/experience required
- 10 + years of IT experience in software and/or application delivery.
- Experience in the Insurance industry and/or LOMA coursework preferred; FLMI certification a plus
- Experience with any of the following technologies a plus: MS Dynamics (D365), MuleSoft, API Integrations, web development, system integrations, and/or data engineering
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to lead, influence and modify behaviors on a team comprised of IT and Business resources
- Ability to foster relationships and establish credibility quickly
- Sound understanding of software development life cycle and successful management of multiple full lifecycle projects is required, Agile experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of multiple business areas, and industry to identify and communicate how IT
- solutions can support the achievement of short-and long-term business goals
- Leadership and negotiation skills, with driving desire and high propensity to learn quickly and develop oneself
- Ability to work with people to proactively identify and evaluate risks associated with business decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly, negotiate, listen, mitigate conflict, build alliances, and achieve desired results using strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Ability to work independently, with little management direction, and within a team environment
- Able to work productively under high levels of ambiguity
- Skilled at asking questions and professionally challenging to uncover important facts and information
- Has the courage to make decisions, but also has the wisdom to know when a decision needs to be escalated
- Builds consensus among diverse groups of people; highly skilled at facilitating resolution across functions and departments
- Has the confidence to engage and work productively with business leaders
- Strong team orientation
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to quickly understand how various elements relate to one another. Have an end-to-end perspective of decisions to anticipating issues/roadblocks.